Sunday, February 20, 2011

Spring Preview

So, we live on Cape Ann, about 40 miles north of Boston. You can google it if you want, I'm having image issues. You see Cape Cod jutting way out in the ocean, and then the little tiny nub of Cape Ann on the North Shore. It's hardly fair to classify it in the same category as Cape Cod, but there you have it. Technically Gloucester is an island, that it shares with the tiny, artsy, touristy town of Rockport. They are separated from the rest of Cape Ann by the Annisquam River, and you have to drive over one of two bridges to get to it. I'm only going into all of this because I got to ride outside this week because it was so nice and sunny and warm(ish) and I did one of my favorite road rides around here. This involves riding around the island. Here. I've illustrated my ride on a map for you.
Now, technically we live in West Gloucester, so we're not on the island. That's why my loop has a little tail. Anyway, it's a gorgeous ride with lots of ocean views, so I tried to take lots of pictures so when it gets nasty out again (tomorrow) I can remember what the sunshine was like.

See? When it's sunny out there are shadows. Much like the eponymous ground hog it can be rather startling to see it after two months of nothing.

I'm joking of course.
Fishing boat in Rockport.

Harbor in Rockport. Lobsta traps on the left there.

The ocean, cruising through East Gloucester.

Okay, I guess that's all I got. Today it's cold and windy out and I want to go ride outside because it's also sunny, but it's just so flipping cold. Maybe trainer, maybe I'll just suck it up and go freeze.

I found out the other day that there is some good mountain biking down on Cape Cod, and it's generally about 10 degrees warmer there than here and they don't get as much snow, so the trails are supposed to be open right now! So I'm planning a trip (it's only 1.5 hrs or so) down there to find some singletrack. Yes.

Just need to keep telling myself that it's almost March, and spring will get here soon enough.

No comments: