Friday, May 21, 2010

Pull the Plug

Today I quit my job. Good riddance. The official rational is that they never once paid me on time, in the almost 4 months that I worked there. There are other reasons, but the cycling world is small and I'd prefer to not talk too much shmack. If you can imagine the total lack of respect that an employer exhibits by not setting and maintaining regular pay periods (as is required by law) you can understand how that lack might manifest itself in other ways. I feel very, very relieved. I asked Cody this morning if it would be cool with him if I quit my job today, and he gave me his blessing - "They never pay you on time!" he said. But I had to promise to start looking again on Monday. Well, I started looking again today, and I think the outlook is good. Making the Reno bike shop rounds here, but sooner or later I'll find one that isn't run by crooked jerks. It's not just me, ask anyone else who's worked at my last two bike shops and they'll fully support my opinion. Whatever, I don't need to justify myself.

But it does pose a couple of new problems. Namely, how am I going to get myself to races with no income? Hopefully the new shop works out, and there's no sense in worrying about things until I know for sure that it won't.

I'm not going to race the TT and RR this weekend. I'm too damn sick. Which is lame, but health is priority number one. So what am I going to do? It's supposed to snow tomorrow and sunday. The wind is gusting like crazy right now. Fingers crossed that this is it, that summer is right around the corner, that I have a new job, and that my legs will come around for Mt. Hood.

No comments: