Sunday, August 10, 2008

Things I've (re)learned this weekend.

I call this one, "Self portrait with slobbering dog."

Sweeet rock section on Mr. Toads Wild Ride. I rode it too.
Most of it, anyway.

1. The Olympics is pretty cool. I mean, I like watching the Tour, but watching the Olympics is almost more fun. I really do love watching cycling (women's olympic road race? Cool. I mean, how often do you see women's cycling on TV! Very cool.) but watching track and field, and rowing, and water polo? Very cool also. Non-cycling athletes are awesome. Okay, maybe trampoline is a weird olympic sport, but maybe I'm just jealous that they get to jump on a trampoline for a living. Who wouldn't be jealous of that?
2. Mountain biking is fun. (um, duh?) And mountain biking with someone you love is even better. And mountain biking with someone you love and your dog, well, nothing really beats that, does it? And doing that and then swimming in Lake Tahoe and eating a hamburger with a glass of Brayzen Hussie red wine (okay, it was okay wine, but that's pretty much the coolest name ever) is pretty much all I need to be a happy person.
3. When I am 2 miles ino a 13.7 mile uphill time trial and my heart rate is 181 is wellll about my LT and my target HR for this race, maybe it's time to slow down a little bit. Cause, erm, 50 minutes and 11 miles into the race when I hit the gnarly headwind at 7500 ft elevation? Yeah, that sucked. Pretty much the next several miles were the slowest miles of my life. And, you know what? I KNEW that! I KNEW, looking at my computer and seeing how freaking hard I was going, that I wouldn't be able to hang in there the whole time. Damn. Everytime I think I'm getting just a teensy bit smarter about my racing I go and do some bonehead thing like this. Next time I'm in the middle of a TT and I'm going waaay harder than I should, would someone please throw a rock at me or something? Come on, Marian, get with it.
On a brighter note, at least I looked hot and fast in my sweeeet new kit and my sexy new shoes and my matching bike.

No comments: