Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Slaughtered

Ahhh, the Sea Otter. Tell me again, why did I decide to do this race as my first P1/2 race? Guess I didn't really think it through. Basically, it was hard, and I got smoked. Not that I expected to win or anything, but it was rough. I didn't have rock-star legs, I didn't feel rested going into it, and I didn't recover properly between days. I think without those contributing factors I would have done better. Again, I wouldn't have won, but it wouldn't have been quite so rough. To Recap . . .
The good:


  • I finished, and wasn't DFL, in my first road race as a 2!

  • I got to race on the Laguna Seca Raceway again, and descending the corkscrew with a pack of 50 women was a blast.

  • I hung in for almost 1/2 of the Circuit Race, and got to see my teammates off the front!

  • After the Circuit Race I got to walk around with my awesome teammates and schmooze our sponsors. Rad.

  • I am the Alternator Queen.*

The bad:



  • I was dropped on the 2nd lap of the road race. Brutal.

  • I was dropped 53 minutes into the circuit race. Consequentely DNFed.

The ugly:



  • Totally sleep deprived for the whole weekend.

  • Didn't get to eat dinner until 8:30 PM on Friday.

  • Felt like I had to do stuff after the road race, instead of laying down and taking a nap like my body obviously needed. Idiot.

  • *Car broke down on the way home, spent an extra night in Fremont, and used my latent alternator installation skills to get us home.

  • Crushed the corner of my palm whilst removing old alternator, resulting in a puffy, bruised, and blood blistered hand. C'est la vie.

Anywho, in the end, it was a great experience, and awesome (expensive) training. I KNOW I can race successfully at that level. I just need a few more watts, a few more brain cells, and another year (or 3) of hard work.

Next up is Wente! I've never done this race, and I'm super excited about it! Followed by a month of no travel, which I'm equally excited about, and then . . . . dun dun duhhhh . . . Mt. Hood! Which I'm terrified for. But excited. Mostly excited.


1 comment:

beth bikes! said...

yikes! hope your hand is okay. see you at wente! let's repeat copperopolis....ha!