Monday, September 8, 2008

Challenge Road Race Report - very belated.

I haven't written a report for the Challenge RR because, well, I DNFed. Pretty weak, huh? Well, hear me out. I DNFed 2 miles from the finish. 2 miles!!! So you gotta figure that if I couldn't make it 2 more miles it had to have been pretty bad.
This race was so hard!!! For anyone who hasn't done it think Copperopolis in August with more climbing. As in, there was some pretty awful pavement, it was 100 degrees, and the whole thing went up up up. And . . . we did two 33 mile laps like this. Oh yeah, and there were only 4 of us. It's like the bike racing gods were conspiring to make this the hardest freakin' race ever. The pro 1/2 guys protested doing 3 laps - gosh, I wonder why. Hmph.
Anyway, the four of us rolled though our first lap pretty easy. My legs felt good and I felt like I wasn't struggling as much as the other 3 on the climbs. Sweet, training is paying off. The feed zone fell right after a climb of about a mile that was super exposed and steep with a tailwind. I've never felt like I suffer more in the heat than others, but I think the heat got to me. I took a bottle (from my dad who came out to offer support/feed/commiserate) and then we had about 6 more miles of climbing to get to the start/finish area to begin our second lap. I think I kinda started cracking starting the second lap. At this point we were down to 3. I started feeling really parched and my legs were a little crampy. At the top of one of the larger climbs there was a crate full of bottles (self-serve neutral feed) and I actually stopped to take a bottle and then had to chase a little to get back on during the descent.
Long story short, as we started up the feedzone climb I cracked. I was hot, I was thirsty, and my legs didn't want to more anymore. I limped up to the feedzone where my dad handed me a bottle and dumped another one on my head. I think my words to him were, "The heat . . ." Real articulate, Mare. Anyway, I figured I'd finish the race, but there came a point when I just had to call it. It was ridiculous. There was a follow vehicle behind me and my dad was driving up behind it. I took one look at a long exposed section of the climb, shook my head, and got off my bike and got in the car. Bummer. On the shortish drive back to my dad's house I was feeling pretty queasy. Got to the house and up-chucked about 3 bottles of water and a bunch of goo. Oh, I guess that's why I bonked. Stomach didn't seem to really like the heat that day, I guess.
Sooo . . . that's it for my road season. I bailed on the Giro de SF and I haven't been on my road bike since. 'Cross, anyone???

No comments: