Monday, October 26, 2009

Dr. Marian

Been getting heavily involved in self-diagnosis these last couple days. First of all, there's something wrong with my left heel. After much Googling of symptoms I've decided that I have calcaneal bursitis - inflammation of the bursa that covers the area where the achilles tendon attaches to the calcaneous. It fits - redness, swelling, PAIN. I wore these old running shoes last week when I was up at Northstar marking the XC course for nationals, and they caused a pretty mean blister. Changed shoes for the next couple days - lots of running around, followed by going for a run on Tuesday. Woke up in the middle of the night last Thursday feeling sort of . . . ouchie. WTF? Thought maybe there was an infection or something with the blister, but it's not ooozie or anything, just painful. Like, when I accidentally kick it with my other foot I want to sit down and cry. Ice and Ibuprophen, don't let me down! It doesn't hurt when I ride, thank goodness, but running and, erm, walking (with shoes that cover my heel) hurts. I may be racing 'cross in my birkenstocks at this rate. Grrreat.

Next - the mean-ass spider bite I got on my . . . ass. Okay, no, it's on my upper, outer, right thigh. But it sucks. Also decended on my on Thursday night. Have determined that it is not from a Brown Recluse, or any other spider that delivers necrotizing venom, thank you jeee-sus! I've come to this rather relieving determination because of the lack of "pus", and "white ring, surrounded by red, around the bite zone, giving it a characteristic bulls-eye target appearance." Okay, that's not actually the quote, I'm paraphrasing. But no pus and no white ring. But I have a big swollen painful-itchy red area on my leg, and you can see it bulging out in my spandex. Grrrrrreat. And this one hurts too! I grabbed my hoodie this morning and the zipper whacked my leg right on my big puffy-ass bump. More sitting, more crying about it. If it doesn't go away in 7-10 days (business?) I'll have to bite the bullet and amputate my own leg. Orrrr . . . go to the doctor. In the meantime, more Ice, more Vitamin I.

Umm . . . what have I done to deserve two gimpy legs in one week? Stupid spiders, that's what I get for not killing them. Stupid nationals, that's what I get for volunteering and running my freakin' tail off for 5 days getting shit done.

So, I know Googling symptoms is a Bad Idea, but when you've got no health insurance and no credit card your options are seriously limited. Jeez, it's amazing I've survived as long as I have.

No comments: