Monday, August 10, 2009

Try try again.

Don't worry, I'm through with the whiny negativity routine. Moving on to optimism, or something that at least resembles it.



Patterson Pass was, um, well, kinda lousy. Led out the climb (bad idea, same thing I did at the hill climb at Kern, tho you can reference my race report for evidence that I didn't really admit it to myself at the time the actual reason why I sucked so hard) cracked just before the top, just about caught back up, then I flatted. Damn. So, to do well in a road race one needs to do the following: 1. Train lots, but not too much, 2. Don't flat, or have any other mechanical mishap, 3. Not go into it with your head up your ass (as in leading up the climb, into a head wind). Next race I'm going to triple check that my head is where it belongs, and the "on" switch is engaged.



And hope for no flats.



(Pre-Dunnigan mental checklist will go something like this - "Head out of ass? Check. Brain fully engaged? Uhhh . . . oh! I mean, "check". )



So, having a day of lousy luck (if you count stupid racing as bad luck, and I do) can really call into question motivation (which, as previously addressed, has recently been occasionally absent) and purpose, and self-confidence. Well, the self-confidence department is still kind of lacking. The only thing that's going to fix that is a good result, or an extra glass of wine (unfortunately not an option pre-race). What do I do when I struggle with these things? Well, it seems when I feel like no matter what I do I'll never be a good road racer I think about how freaking awesome cyclocross is. And . . . I start plotting. For instance, I'm seriously seriously thinking about flying to Kentucky for the USGP Derby Cup races. Yes. Kentucky. Additionally I'm already planning on flying to Portland for the USGP, and driving to Bend for Nationals. And I'll most likely be working at Interbike so I'll hopefully (if my boss let's me get away from the almost-naked-ladies-dancing-on-poles that is the Sinclair Party) be racing Cross Vegas again. WTF? It's like I'm a pro cyclocross racer or something. Hm. I know, it's a lot way to travel to come in 3rd from last, but god damnit, it sounds like fun.

Oh yeah, and I'm going to get my road upgrade. Umm . . . right . . .

4 comments:

X Bunny said...

ugh.

i heard the goatheads were in abundance.

they can be bad at winters, too.

so don't worry about your brain or your ass--make sure you have heavy duty tubes in those tires!

and it's not crazy to fly to kentucky, it's not like you're driving or something ridiculous like that.....

Marian said...

Heavy duty tubes for sure. There were TONS of flats out there on Sunday, and I think this is just the beginning of goat head season.

Haha, Beth was talkig about driving! But she lives about 20 hours closer. :)

bethwellie said...

Just remember, any race that I'm at means you got one person beat!

I've starting plotting about Derby City. We can drink mint juleps and wear big ass hats around.

Marian said...

Yes! Big ass hats! I was looking at pictures from last year and saw your kick-ass socks, and was thinking I'm going to be keeping my eyes open for some.

And we'll both beat people! With sticks, if necessary. ;)